viernes, 21 de noviembre de 2008

¿Para O Por?

"para" refers to destination, direction

Voy para Nueva Orleans I go to New Orleans
Mañana me voy para el norte. Tomorrow I go to(ward) the north.
Lo hago para olvidar. I do it in order to forget.
Este vaso es para ti. This cup is for you.
Siento un deseo para (nombre de otro significante). I feel a desire for (name of significant other).
Este regalo es para mi novio. This present is for my boyfriend.
Masco speariment gum para no fumar. I chew speariment gum in order to not smoke.
Para mí, el proyecto no vale mucho. For me, the project no to be worth much.
Necesito terminar el libro para el mediodía. I must finish the book by noon.
Esta tarea es para mañana. This homework is due tomorrow.


por refers to explanation, motivation, or reason


Mañana corro por el valle. Tomorrow I run through the valley.
Me voy a Nevada por mi asma. I'm going to Nevada because of my asthma.
Voy por negocios I go because of business.
Estamos andando por la playa. We are walking along the beach.
Tommy y Carrie ganan por un voto. Tommy and Carrie win by one vote.
Tengo una tesis por escribir. I have a thesis (yet to be done) to write.
Estoy por el tratado. I am in favor of the treaty.
Voy a estar en Toronto (por) tres días. I'm going to be in Toronto for three days.
Por tres días caminé las calles de Toronto. For three days I walked the streets of Toronto.
Mañana por la tarde Tomorrow afternoon
Pase por aquella puerta y doble a la izquierda. Go through that (far away) door and turn to the left.

No hay comentarios: